Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Palette - Exposed

When we have demonstration painters at our Saint Louis Watercolor Society meetings, you will always hear, "What paints are you using?" We all seem to have a fascination with the palette of other artists. And what about the workshop supply list. "He uses Naples yellow. I better get some."

Having been to about 20 week-long workshops, I have a bag full of barely squeezed tubes. While I am still open to new ones, and a sucker for the workshop bait, I seem to have settled on this mix.Here is my palette as of last evening. I will name the paints starting in the top left corner. The number of stars indicates frequency of use, 3 being most often, and none, meaning it's gotta go.

WN Cobalt Blue **
WN French Ultramarine ***
WN Antwerp ***
WN Winsor Blue/Red
WN Winsor Green/Yellow *
Daniel Smith Under Sea Green ***
American Journey Skip's Green ***
WN Cadmium Yellow Med *
WN Lemon Yellow
WN Raw Sienna **
WN New Gamboge ***
WN Winsor Yellow **
WN Orange *
WN Burnt Sienna ***
WN Scarlet Lake **
WN Perm. Alizarin *
WN Perm Rose *
Daniel Smith Quinacridone Magenta **
Maimeri Theoindigo Violet **
WN Violet ***
WN Opera *
WN Cobalt Violet *
Holbein Manganese **
Maimeri Bleu Verde ***
Dabs in the middle: Sepia**, Maimeri Avignon Orange **, AJ Andrew's Turquoise **, S Quiller Rose Madder **

And my favorite white is "Aqua Cover" made to match brand name papers. Very nice for emergency recovery of whites.

2 comments:

ESCUDERO said...

Very interesting indeed....How have you been? Is your work featured in the Art Directory? It's looking rather familiar. Take care

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

I love this. As fellow artist I always enjoy discovering other artists in the blogging world! Your palette makes me happy - I love rainbows in all shapes and sizes.